Abington Senior High School, Abington Junior High School, McKinley, Overlook, Roslyn and Rydal Elementary Blue Ribbon Schools!
Congratulations to Our Latest NATIONAL BLUE RIBBON WINNER:
- Abington Junior High School! Abington Junior High School joins our other
Blue Ribbon School winners:
- Overlook Elementary School National and Pennsylvania Blue Ribbon School
- Rydal Elementary School National and Pennsylvania Blue Ribbon School
- McKinley Elementary School National and Pennsylvania
Blue Ribbon School
- Abington Senior High School National and Pennsylvania
Blue Ribbon School
- Roslyn Elementary School Pennsylvania Blue Ribbon School
We are very pleased that the United States Department of Education has named Abington Junior High School a National Blue Ribbon School of Excellence.
The Blue Ribbon Process is Lengthy and Exhaustive
The process of being selected as a state level school of distinction and then proceeding to the national level of recognition is, for the winning schools, the culmination of a very rigorous and lengthy process. In Pennsylvania, schools complete a complex, multi-faceted questionnaire that requires narratives on the very essence of the school. Divided into eight evaluation areas, the application asks schools to complete extensive questions in each area that require specific and factual answers. The eight areas are:
- Student Focus and Support
- School Organization and Culture
- Challenging Standards and Curriculum
- Active Teaching and Learning
- Professional Community
- Leadership and Educational Vitality
- School, Family, and Community Partnerships
- Indicators of success
The Blue Ribbon process next moves to the national level where all the state winners are reviewed, and a smaller group is selected for an on-site, three-day visit.
According to statements from the Department of Education, "Blue Ribbon status is awarded to schools that have strong leadership; a clear vision and sense of mission that is shared by all connected with the school; high quality teaching; challenging, up-to-date curriculum; policies and practices that ensure a safe environment conducive to learning; solid evidence of family involvement; evidence that the school helps all students achieve to high standards; and a commitment to share best practices with other schools. These schools also display the qualities of excellence that are necessary to prepare our young people for the challenges of the next century."
Congratulations to all our students and staff, parents, the community and the Board who help make these awards and recognition possible.