Welcome to Copper Beech’s Health Corner
The purpose of the Health Suite is to provide first aid for sick or injured students while they are in school, to plan for the care of students with health care needs, and to carry out the State Mandated Program.
- Mrs. Melissa Bruton, RN, CSN
- Mrs. Liza Marino, RN, CSN
- Mrs. Dolores Tracey, RN
- Mrs. Susan Plunkett, RN
Student Procedure in the Health Suite
Students need to have a pass and an escort(s) to come to the Health Suite. If it is determined that a student needs to go home, their parent/guardian will be notified. Please don’t forget to notify the Health Room when any emergency information changes.
Just a reminder when your child is absent for an extended illness, injury or operation, please provide a doctor’s note with special instructions for gym and/or recess, so we can better co-ordinate your child’s care. A doctor’s note is required for crutches and to use the elevator. Please don’t forget to update emergency phone numbers and contact information in Skyward as it changes.
Medication Policy and Permission
If your child needs to take any medication in school, this also pertains to over-the-counter medication, a doctor’s note is required with the medication in the original container and a note from the parent indicating when the medication is to be given. The medication must be brought to school and returned home by a parent or responsible adult.
The state of Pennsylvania requires physical exams for students in kindergarten, seventh, and eleventh grades. Dental exams are required in kindergarten, third and seventh grade.
Along with vision and hearing screening, the Pennsylvania Department of Health requests school nurses to conduct height and weight measurements and to calculate Body Mass Index (BMI) for students in all grades. After the students are screened, letters are mailed home informing parents of the results, along with recommendations to share this information with their health care providers. If you have any questions or concerns please contact the health room at (215) 517-2747.
Pennsylvania School Immunization Requirements
For attendance in ALL grades children need the following immunizations:
- 4 doses of tetanus, diphtheria, and acelluar pertussis (1 dose on or after 4th birthday)
- 4 doses of Polio (4th dose on or after 4th birthday and at least 6 months after previous dose given
- 2 doses of measles
- 2 doses of mumps
- 1 dose or rubella (German measles)
- 3 doses of hepatitis B
- 2 doses of varicella (chickenpox) vaccine or evidence of immunity
Students Attending 7th grade will need:
- 1 dose of tetanus, diphtheria, acellular pertussis (Tdap) (if 5 years has elapsed since last tetanus immunization
- 1 dose of meningococcal conjugate vaccine (MCV)
These requirements allow for the following exemptions:
- Medical reason, religious belief, or philosophical/strong moral or ethical conviction
For more information about school vaccination immunization requirements please CLICK HERE.